What is Exxon Mobil?
Exxon Mobil Corporation is one of the world's largest multinational oil and gas corporations, with roots dating back to the late 19th century. Headquartered in Irving, Texas, Exxon Mobil operates in nearly every facet of the energy industry, including exploration, production, refining, marketing, and distribution. The company's operations span the globe, with a significant presence in over 70 countries. Exxon Mobil is known for its petroleum exploration and production, often leading pioneering efforts in offshore drilling and deep-sea exploration. It has a substantial portfolio of oil and gas reserves and is known within the industry for its cutting-edge technology and innovation.
Exxon Mobil's downstream operations include refining and marketing, where it produces a wide range of petroleum-based products, including gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, lubricants, and petrochemicals. The company's extensive network of retail outlets, under the brand name ExxonMobil, is well-recognised globally. While Exxon Mobil has traditionally been a major player in fossil fuels, it has also begun to explore alternative energy sources and has made investments in research related to renewable energy and carbon capture technologies. Nevertheless, its core business remains deeply tied to the global oil and gas industry, making it a key player in the world's energy landscape.
Exxon Mobil is listed on several stock indices, including the S&P 500 Index, Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), and FTSE 100. Its stock trades with the ticker symbol “XOM”.
What affects the XOM stock price?
Exxon Mobil's stock price is influenced by a wide range of factors, including:
- Oil and gas prices: Exxon Mobil is primarily engaged in the exploration, production, refining, and marketing of oil and gas products. Therefore, one of the most significant factors affecting its stock price is the price of crude oil and natural gas. When oil and gas prices rise, Exxon Mobil's revenue and profitability tend to increase, which can positively impact its stock price.
- Global economic conditions: Growth or recession can impact demand for energy products, affecting Exxon Mobil's financial results and stock price.
- Political instability or conflicts in oil-producing regions can disrupt the supply of oil and gas and lead to price volatility. Geopolitical events can have a significant impact on Exxon Mobil's stock price.
- Government policies and regulations related to energy production, environmental standards, and carbon emissions can affect Exxon Mobil's operations and profitability. Changes in energy policies can influence investor sentiment and stock prices.
- Exploration and production activities: Exxon Mobil's success in finding and developing new oil and gas reserves can impact its stock price. Positive exploration results can boost investor confidence.
- The refining and marketing segment of Exxon Mobil's business is sensitive to changes in refining margins and marketing conditions. Profitability in this segment can impact the overall stock price.
- Investor sentiment, market trends, and macroeconomic factors can influence the stock price. News, analyst reports, and investor perceptions of the company can drive short-term price fluctuations.
- Exxon Mobil operates in a highly competitive industry. The actions and performance of its competitors can impact its market share and stock price.
- Exxon Mobil has historically been known for its dividends. Changes in the dividend policy, including increases or decreases, can affect investor perception and the price of the stock.
- Environmental and social factors: Increasing awareness of environmental and social issues, such as climate change and sustainability, can influence investor sentiment and impact Exxon Mobil's stock price.
- Technological advancements in energy production and conservation can affect the company's competitiveness and long-term prospects.
What to watch out for when trading XOM stock?
When considering trading XOM stock, it is important to keep an eye on announcements such as:
- Exxon Mobil's corporate earnings results (released quarterly)
- Exxon Mobil's annual report releases
- Exxon Mobil's corporate announcements
- News and media stories featuring Exxon Mobil