April Fools´ prank (the most popular spoof yesterday was that the SEC has approved Bitcoin ETFs) or beginning of a recovery rally? That is a question many cryptocurrency investors and speculators are asking themselves now. Let us have a look at the charts.
* Bitcoin has reached an intraday high of almost $5100 today - a gain of more than 20 % on the day
* The cryptocurrency has retraced somewhat, but traders are asking themselves if this is the start of a proper recovery or merely a short-term rally driven by speculators covering their short positions
* BTC bulls have been struggling in recent months as interest in cryptocurrencies has been declining steadily, along with trading volumes
* The charts suggest the broad downtrend is still intact
* Heavy resistance is seen ahead of the $5200-5300 area - where the 38.2 % Fibo of the July-December decline and the 200 DMA are resting
* To the downside, support is seen at $4400-4450 - a former area of major resistance
* Bitcoin bulls would need a daily close above $5000 to regain some confidence
* In Ethereum, traders will be keeping a close eye on the $161 level, which acted as key level of resistance several times in the past
* A daily close above that level may potentially help ETH/USD to regain some momentum following a prolonged period of consolidation
* The next major area to watch would then be $213-223 (November 2018 high + 200 DMA)
The information is not to be construed as a recommendation; or an offer to buy or sell; or the solicitation of an offer to buy or sell any security, financial product, or instrument; or to participate in any trading strategy. Readers should seek their own advice. Reproduction or redistribution of this information is not permitted.
Soaring US yields trigger the wrecking ball effect as yields become a source of volatility for risk, rather than a source of support